Several of my Blogland lovelies have been waxing lyrical about the joys of the fall this week. Tia at BecominNeurotic shared her cozy-warm-nest-making to to do list for fall and Tracie from well, From Tracie, showed off her amazingly awesome, fully and officially(theatric wink) patented Pretend Fall Survival Kit for those folks from fall challenged areas around the globe. Fall deficiency is an epidemic. You too can save someone’s fall. Even if you can only give one glove, one packet of apple cider. Every little bit makes the difference to someone not experiencing slight dips in temperature, air crispness and a proliferation in pumpkin products. Give responsibly.
Fall is my jam. It’s the ish of seasons. None of that in your face, all day, every day sunshine and blistering heat that summer brings. None of the brick-ass cold, bleakness and quiet desperation that gets handed to us by old man winter. It’s the loveliness in the middle, the bit where you never know what you’re going to get and when you get it how long you’re going to keep it. It’s where the change is still novel and a pretty damn good time.
Fall is the superior season for a fangirly fangirl like me. A depress-o from Texafornia, who hides from the sun like a vampire on the CW. Or maybe they don’t? They might sparkle. #TeamSpike4evs #SparklingPunishableByStake Here are some reasons, besides sporting weather befitting non-sparkling, witty British vampires, why fall is dope.
- PUMPKIN EVERYTHING! – Oh my god, ah mah gah, ermehgerd – PUMPKIN! Everywhere. In every form. It is the absolute best. I made pumpkins empanadas(post to come) to celebrate the first day of fall yesterday. This morning I had a pumpkin bagel. I plan to consume at least one pumpkin or pumpkin related product per day until winter begins. Pumpkin for prez! You know you love it, but you hate it. You hate it, but you love it. Til it hurts. So good.
- TEEVEE IS HEEEERRREEE! – I love tv, although decidedly less of late. But I always love, love, CAPITAL LOVE the new fall season. Such promise, such hope, so many dreams and careers on the brink of awesome. I may have a spreadsheet going. So far I’ve watched three new shows and picked up none. But I have faith. Like Tia😉
- New Mukluks – Every year I get a new pair of these slippery-socky type thingies and I love them to the bone. And wear them ragged, hence the every year cycle. I haven’t purchased any yet this year, but I’m always on the lookout for fun, cheapies. I’m considering these because holy softness, Snuggle Bear(that link is his legit Twitter account fyi and he’s 30 this month. Boom.) AND they have an iphone pocket which is pretty much a requirement at this point in my life.
- The reset – The new year, all blank and inviting like a black composition book just waiting to have it’s white squiggles filled in. Goals, routine, structure. I thrive, baby, I thrive. The feelings of success and accomplishment are heady fruit for this rut-loving girl. Set me up for success, you autumnal wonder, you.
- HALLOWEEN UP IN THIS BITCH Y’ALL – Fall may be my special place, but Halloween is my holy season. Pumpkin patches, costume parties, little ghosties trick-or-treating, I love it all. And now that I have a kid I no longer have to dress up my cat. She’s all like, I DID SURVIVE. And now that I have a little geek in training I’m like, let’s all be superheroes(Cap and Thor 4eva) or TMNT or Star Wars characters! And he’s all, hells yeah! And then I feel like a good parent. For the next five minutes anyway. Maybe even longer(ish) on October 31st.